Sunday, July 5, 2009

July 5, 2009 Capitol Lake

Capitol Lake; Passing the baton; Route 14; Crossing the Mississippi

This will be short as again we did not get in until after 9 PM. Our day started in Pierre, SD where we visited Capitol Lake next to the State Capitol building. There, they have nice memorials to WWII, Korean and Vietnam War vets, and also to firemen and policemen, next to a small pond. It is an impressive display and is a tangible reminder of what it takes and has taken to maintain our freedom and independence.
Well, I passed the baton today, and suggested that each rider take a turn in the lead for a segment (usually 100-125 miles) and we would just rotate the lead the rest of the way home. It was Bill’s turn first, followed by Bob and then Griff. We rode through South Dakota on Route 14, a two lane road that parallels the Interstate, but not quite so boring. Wrong. It was just as boring - just a lot of flat land, few trees, farms, grasslands mainly, and just a total bore. Even the road was straight so we had no exciting curves to negotiate. By the time it got to be Griff’s turn to lead, it was 3:30 or so. We had filled up and then driven 25 miles to Tracy, MN for a late lunch at Subway (Bill’s choice) before G took over. And he now has a new nickname - the Horse. He drove and drove and drove until we came to a stoplight and I told him he had to stop so we could fill up with gas after 160 miles. He continued on, passing 2 or 3 gas stations he did not see, and missing the exit for Route 14, and finally pulled into a gas station. Bob, Bill and I had very sore butts from this long ride, and felt mutinous at such a long trek. I suggested that we ride 40 miles further to Rochester to spend the night and all thought that would be fine. Actually Griff has found the solution for long gas station breaks - don’t stop at all. I wish I had thought of that!
Unfortunately that was not to be for I thought we would find a suitable motel along Route 14 as it wended its way through Rochester (home of the Mayo Clinic, and a city of 80,000 plus people), but I found none. By the time I had checked for a hotel on my GPS (while going 60 mph), they were all behind us. So I kept going and after 10-12 miles, I pulled over to the side of the road and told the others that we could be in La Crosse, WI in an hour if we took the Interstate. Not having much choice, all agreed and off we went, racing nightfall again as we had done last night. We won again, crossing the Mississippi just after the sun had set and the rosy aftermath was over our left shoulders, and the full moon was rising to our right. We made it the next 5 miles and ended up at the same Comfort Inn we had stayed in on Wednesday, June 24. Although it was a tough day with most of the riding taking place in the afternoon, we are pleased that tomorrow’s ride to Eric’s house will be a relatively short one of 2 1/2 hours or so. Alleluia. And I have made reservations to take the ferry across Lake Michigan on Wednesday at 12:30 PM, and am looking forward to that.
Good night. Nat, DB, Dad, Matt, etc.

PS Janet Stern asked when we expect to go to a spa. That's very funny. But our butts could sure use some treatment at a spa. I don't see that happening, especially not with our Harley duds on. It just wouldn't be proper.

2 comments:

  1. Having trouble posting again. This may repeat a previous comment, but I don't see it.
    So: I did a search of your entire blog for "wash" and for "laundry".
    Like did you guys ever stop for such mundane affairs?
    Janet S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have done our laundry in the motels we've stayed, either Holiday Inn Express or Comfort Inn. We haven't had to go to a laundromat yet.

    ReplyDelete